Anne Frank Museum, Enormous Pancakes & X'Mas Markets @ The Dam!


More and more gorgeous canals - especially along Prinsengracht (where the Anne Frank Museum is located). I took a canal cruise here and was so taken by the lovely houses lining the canals and how gorgeous everything from the balconies covered with ivy to church bells ringing in the distance to every leaveless tree. People cycle EVERYWHERE in Amsterdam, by the way. In fact, there are lanes dedicated for cyclists so before you cross anywhere, look out!


The Anne Frank Museum was such a moving experience for me. If you've read her diary before, you'll feel the same way, I'm sure. As I went through room to room, I felt as if I was transported back to World War 2 and there I was living in this tiny room. It's an enlightening experience just moving through the place the Franks hid for months before being caught by Nazis. I highly recommend anyone who's read the book or just plain love going museum-hopping, to visit the this place. 


One of the best croissants I've ever had in my life - was at this place. It's just next to the Anne Frank Museum so you can't miss it. In my case, it was the best option in getting out of the cold!


Westerkerk Church is just around the corner from Anne Frank Museum. Since we were there just before Sinterklaas, church bells kept ringing every now and then which made the whole atmosphere even more enchanting. I had planned on climbing to the top of the church tower as you can apparently get an awesome view from there, but sadly the tower is closed to the public at least until next year. 


Yes, you're right. I did not finish this gigantic (apparently normal-sized) bacon-cheese pancake but that's only because it was deliciously filling! Less than 10 Euro :)


As we had our nights free, we ventured into the X'Mas market in Leidseplein, a noted nightspot area in Amsterdam. Plenty of street food to cater to the hungry in the ice-cold weather. Speaking of which, shortly after we got here, it started raining ice! Thanks to this, we had to eat in one of the bars nearby. There was also an ice skating rink nearby with skates available for rental. 


Glad to say, we didn't go skating but enjoyed soaking in the scene that made us feel all Christmas-y inside.

8 comment(s):

Terra Shield said...

A pity about the tower being closed.

King of Scurf said...

I've visited Amsterdam a few times. It's always interesting but the climate is dreadful.

secret agent woman said...

Just catching up on the last few posts. It really looks like a wonderful trip.

sriyany said...

Terra Shield: Tell me about it. Oh well, guess there's always a next time.

sriyany said...

King of Scurf: Oh yes, I absolutely hated the winter. I know most people would walk faster seeing that it's cold/windy but I felt I became slower - which made walking around difficult.

sriyany said...

secret agent woman: I would love to go again. This time allocating a couple more days to get around. 2 days is a rush.

Life Ramblings said...

looks like you had a great time in Amsterdam. your photos bring back wonderful flashbacks of my trip. Thank you.

sriyany said...

Life Ramblings: I'm glad you enjoy them. In fact your photos of Austria have inspired me to take a trip to Salzburg next year :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2009 - Quirks of a Delusional Mind - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template