Snorkeling @ Blue Lagoon Beach, Bali

Since the trip to Bali was caramel honey's b'day gift from me and knowing how much he loves the sea, I thought we could do something different than the usual sitting-on-the-beach-drinking-playing-guitar so I planned in snorkeling for the both of us.

The Blue Lagoon Beach is on the east side of Bali and it took us about 1.5 hours from Kuta just to drive there. But the beach was worth it - it was like a hidden paradise. Take a look:

Caramel honey with his trusty Coleman!

The entrance to Blue Lagoon Beach

It gets even more intriguing...

And you come across this!

Paradise :)

video

Since it was our first time snorkeling, we rented the gear and life jackets (as we're prone to panicking in the sea - me especially!). At first, we spent some time just enjoying the beach and observing people snorkeling from the shore, how they were doing it, etc. 

When we decided to go in, we had the hardest time getting our fins on and when we did we got rooted in the sand and had difficulty yanking our fins out! I think we must have been quite a spectacle as we were the only ones there in life jackets and me shrieking every now and then when the strong current made my fins sink in deeper into the sand. LOL!


Finally, a fellow snorkeler came by to help us out. He and his girlfriend I presume, taught us how to put on our masks and fins the right way and what to do when waves gush into the snorkel tube. Before you know it, caramel honey got the hang of it and was off exploring the vast shore covered in corals and colorful fishes. 

I needed some help just floating on the surface coz let me tell you, if you're not prepared for what's under the sea, you can be terrified. I saw huge corals and the most amazing fishes and at some point the corals/rocks dipped further below and you cannot see the bottom anymore. That. is. terrifying. It's like a black abyss. But if you're prepared to be amazed, you'll enjoy being so close to fishes that you can touch them.

Anyway, it was an experience. The beach is clean and water is quite sheer so it's easy to see what's underneath. Another good thing, there are not many people there, just a few couples lounging around, minding their own business so it's pretty much private. Now that caramel honey has found something else to enjoy on the beach, I think once I get the hang of it or go more often, I'll get used to another world underwater :)

4 comment(s):

Terra Shield said...

I'd love to do something like this... only if I wasn't so afraid of water!

sriyany said...

Terra Shield: Oh dear, the shore is not as bad as the middle of the ocean. You'll just be waist deep in water :)

Terra Shield said...

Just waist deep? That's good news, I guess.

Life Ramblings said...

snorkeling sounds like fun and the beach does look inviting. i'd love to visit Bali someday.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2009 - Quirks of a Delusional Mind - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template