New Hope for Japan


After the devastating 8.9 magnitude of an earthquake followed by a destructive tsunami, Japan certainly need all the help and support they can get. To make matters worse, few nuclear reactors were damaged in the process and are at risk of a radiation leak.

"Officials confirmed on Sunday that three nuclear reactors north of Tokyo were at risk of overheating, raising fears of an uncontrolled radiation leak.  
Engineers worked desperately to cool the fuel rods in the damaged reactors. If they fail, the containers that house the core could melt, or even explode, releasing radioactive material into the atmosphere."
(taken from Reuters

In fact, Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan has mentioned that this is the nation's worst crisis since World War II. I was going through new reports on how the death toll has risen up 400+ with over 10,000 people unaccounted for and the only thing I could think about was how lucky we all are to be alive. 


Imagine going to work, doing what you normally do, probably thinking what to have for dinner later and before you know it, you're gone. That's a really scary thought. I think most of us take our lives for granted and fail to realize how short a time we have on Earth. Right now, I pray for Japan and hope that more survivors would be found.

UPDATE: I've donated through GlobalGiving for the Japan Disaster Relief Fund - every small bit helps.

Images: The Atlantic

3 comment(s):

Nick Phillips said...

And there I was lamenting about how horrible my Monday was!

I pray they find more survivors too.

sexyjessie said...

Just pray and hope and do some donation whenever I can.

It's just so tragic that many innocent lives have lost.

sriyany said...

Nick Phillips: I really hope they do. I feel so sad when I see reports on the death toll :|

sexyjessie: Exactly. Right now, food and water are on low supply in areas most affected and donations can go a long way :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2009 - Quirks of a Delusional Mind - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template